Free GPS With Tire Purchase

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Poor Quality, Part 1= Expensive Repairs

I will be posting quality issues that I come across under 'Poor Quality' posts!

Today, a guy brought me a 12V refueling pump that goes on a refueling tank in the back of a pickup. I don't generally work on these and can't get parts for them but I accepted the job as long as he pays, whether I can fix it or it works or not. The reason I charge this way on odd-ball items like this is that I can get a lot of time in working on stuff like this with no compensation for my time!

The problem with this unit was that moisture got inside the motor and behind the field magnets and lifted them loose from the case and against the armature locking it in place. The reason moisture got into the motor was because of the poor workmanship from the factory when it was new. Who ever assembled the unit, allowed the O-ring seal to get pinched off of one side and not properly sealed the unit.

This repair cost the customer 2 & 1/2 hours labor to repair. If proper care had been taken at the factory when it was assembled, the customer wouldn't have had the extra cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment