Free GPS With Tire Purchase

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Poor Quality, Part 4, Dodge Diesel Starter.

This starter, a poor quality rebuild from a parts store, came in with broken switch terminal on the solenoid. After going to all the work to repair this terminal, the solenoid chattered when testing it, indicating that the hold-in coil was bad. Other than a continuity test with the coils, which I performed before doing the repair, I couldn't test the solenoid without doing the repair first.

Now I had to tear the whole starter all apart again and replace the solenoid assembly with one off a core unit. (The solenoid on this particular unit is incorporated into the middle body of the starter and not easily replaceable by just removing and installing outside the unit!) This coupled with the fact that most of the rubber seals were left out by the previous rebuilder and the poor quality of his work, ended up costing my customer 2 & 1/2 times what the initial repair would have. If this had been a quality rebuilt unit, my customer may not have had to bring it to me for repair in the first place!

This is why I'm so down on parts store rebuilds!

No comments:

Post a Comment