Free GPS With Tire Purchase

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How Much Does My Repair Cost?

I'm posting this more for the benefit of my local customers, as different rebuilding companies charge differently for their repairs!

So many people come into my shop asking how much their repair will cost. The problem is, I CAN'T answer that question on the phone or just over the counter. I understand that most people want to save money and are concerned how much everything costs, but for my type of business, that question is difficult to impossible to answer.

The reason for this is that I only charge for the parts I install and the labor, no more, no less. Since I have no idea what is wrong with each unit until I have disassembled and tested all the components, I don't know how many parts will need repaired or replaced, or how long the repair will take. Some units come in all corroded up that it takes twice as long to repair as a similar unit in good condition. Granted there are some common units that I have seen a lot of and that I have an idea on a rough estimate on the repair cost, but it is a very small percentage of what's out there and I'm seeing fewer and fewer of these units as they are getting older and most of the vehicles they are on have gone to the junkyard.

Some companies charge a flat rate for their repair and can give you an exact price, but is this fair and just what are you getting for your money? For an example take a Nippondenso alternator that was used on Dodge/Chrysler products through the 1990's and early 2000's. After about 150,000 miles they start to fail. If they are relatively clean (not oil soaked) the reason they stop working is the brushes wear out and that's all! These units (originals, not aftermarkets) have heavy duty bearings that generally last 300,000 to 400,000 miles, there's no internal regulator to fail (it's in the vehicles computer) and the other parts seldom ever fail! People will go to a parts store and pay around 160 dollars for a poorer quality replacement unit. I can repair this alternator for about 20 bucks and it will last as long as a new one. If this alternator was completely burned up, it would cost well over 200 dollars to repair so that's why I can't answer what it will cost until I have examined the unit.

If your unit only needed something minor and the repair only costs 20 or 30 bucks then you save money. If you have burned up your unit or it's all corroded, then you should have to pay more for the repair. This is the fairest way to charge customers for a repair.

To sum this up, unless you bring your unit into my shop and allow me to properly test it, I can't and won't know how much your repair will cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment